There are currently 34 focused ultrasound indications in various stages of development in the UK, and more than 170 across the globe. Thirty-two have regulatory approval worldwide, and 13 have achieved CE Marking in the UK. The specific indications, manufacturers, clinical trials, and research and clinical site locations are shown below.
In the UK, there are 16 research sites, 23 clinical sites, and 2 Focused Ultrasound Centers of Excellence. Four manufacturers are also located in the UK.
There are nine clinical therapeutic ultrasound systems being used to treat the following indications:
- Sonablate Corporation’s Sonablate system – prostate tumors
- EDAP TMS Ablatherm system – prostate tumors
- Profound Medical’s TULSA-PRO system – prostate tumors
- Chongqing HAIFU’s JC200 system – multiple soft tissue/abdominal organs
- Theraclion’s SonoVein system – varicose veins
- Insightec’s Exablate Neuro system – essential tremor, Parkinson’s disease
- OxSonics* – colorectal cancer metastasis to the liver
- Exact Therapeutics* – colorectal cancer metastasis to the liver
- Histosonics* – kidney cancer
*In clinical trials; does not have regulatory approval
The Focused Ultrasound Foundation is currently funding four clinical trials in the UK:
- Pancreatic cancer at the University of Oxford
- Pelvic cancer at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, St. Mary’s Hospital
- Sarcoma and desmoid tumors at Churchill Hospital
- Twin-twin transfusion syndrome at Imperial College London
Other research projects have explored focused ultrasound for treating low back pain, brain tumors, pancreatic cancer, immunotherapy, pediatric tumors, and canine urinary tract tumors.